Saturday, July 25, 2020

Look What They’ve Done to My Song Ma

People keep asking what I think of Taylor Swift’s new album.  Although I prefer Shirley Collins’ wondrous new release Heart’s Ease, I’ve invested more time than I’d care to admit playing the spot-the-influence game with folklore.  I’m genuinely happy for Swift fans hearing the eclectic folk-pop sounds of the ‘70s for the first time.  To that end, I created a 47-minute Spotify playlist of songs that may have inspired folklore.  Those unwilling to click on the link should know the first five songs are by Janis Ian, Peter Gabriel, Joan Armatrading, Phoebe Snow and Jimmie Spheeris.  Fashion-conscious folks shouldn’t get too excited- the sixth song is Air Supply’s “Two Less Lonely People in the World.”

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: