Monday, December 27, 2010

Teena Marie, 1956-2010


















Sometimes I forget about the ephemeral nature of popular music. When I attempted to share my grief upon hearing that Teena Marie had died yesterday, the first few people I spoke to didn't remember the R&B artist. She had a couple platinum albums in the early '80s but in spite of fine recent work like La Dona, her career is largely forgotten. She was sort of a combination of Alicia Keys and Rihanna. My last chance to see Teena Marie again, a 2009 concert at the Midland Theater, was canceled. Here's the subsequent discussion at Back To Rockville.

---
Many people, myself included, have pontificated about the demise of Streetside Records in Westport. Yet I haven't seen anyone mention my three favorite in-store appearances at the location. They are The Replacements (signing on the Pleased To Meet Me tour), the Psychedelic Furs (signing on the Talk Talk Talk tour and James Harman (performance on the Do Not Disturb tour). What am I forgetting?

---
Vedera's new homecoming video is very nice.

---
XXL offers a free Tech N9ne mixtape here.

---
Download Reggie B's new "Every Pharoah Needz a Queen" here.

---
My friend L.K., the "other" Kansas City jazz blogger, unearths two forgotten Jay McShann videos.

---
Only two titles on Concert Chris' 20 Favorite Albums list made my Top 25 list. I still love the guy.

---
New Orleans rapper Magnolia Shorty was killed December 20.

---
Kansas City Click: CrossCurrent returns to Jardine's on Monday.

James Christos hits the Record Bar on Tuesday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: