Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Fat Loser Problems


Going to Coachella? You’re a Loser and Part of the Problem and Probably Fat, an essay currently making the usual social media rounds, amused me.

Still a bit punch-drunk from the 24 hours I logged at the three-day Middle of the Map festival, I'm sympathetic to the sentiment expressed in the cynical screed.  The truth, however, is that I relish excess.  I embrace the novel opportunity to take in performances by honky tonk, punk and hip hop acts within a single hour.

Putting up with chatty Cathys and drunk Daves who would otherwise rarely set foot in a live music venue is a small price to pay for the experience.  (I even grew fond of the wasted Wendy who followed me around on Saturday.)

Besides, the relatively small scale of Middle of the Map meant that the furthest I ever stood from any performer was when I retreated to the balcony of the Uptown Theater during Grizzly Bear's stellar set to take this crummy shot.  The irrepressible Dutch Newman even collided with me during his performance.


---
My notes on the final day of the Middle of the Map festival are part of this report.

---
Regarding the "Accidental Racist" brouhaha: The controversy shouldn't center on the well-intentioned Brad Paisley or the deeply regrettable contribution of LL Cool J.  The real issue is that the milquetoast star is considered a "visionary" (Brian Mansfield in today's USA Today) by the Nashville establishment.  As a wise man once said, "It's been the same way for years- we need to change."

---
God bless Willie Nelson.  The EPK for his forthcoming album showcases the "good" Willie.  (Tip via BGO.)

---
The "season finale" of the KC Cypher Series is an important document of Kansas City's hip hop scene, but I can't sign off on most of the contributions.  The three best participants are Nesto the Owner, Riv Locc and Paul Mussan.

---
I'm going to listen to the latest releases from James Blake, Stone Sour, the Knife, Device, the Dave Douglas Quintet, Jake Bugg, Paramore, John Medeski, Eric Church, Steve Kuhn and Kurt Vile only after I tire of Julieta Venegas' new Los Momentos album.

---
Kansas City Click: The Slide Brothers perform at Knuckleheads on Tuesday.

Garbage plays the VooDoo Lounge on Wednesday.

Rob Scheps and Jerry Dodgion appear at Take Five Coffee + Bar on Thursday.

Alaturka returns to Kansas City Academy on Friday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

bgo said...

What's the point of the Coach Ella essay? Does it have anything to do with the The Wreck of the Ella Fitzgerald? I'm thinking outside some sort of box here and believing a need for a AARP sponsored music festival for folks on fixed incomes is in order. Properly conceived it would be a smashing success I think. Young people today are disgusting.

Gary said...

Haha. I'm in the mid40s and I can only afford to go to a couple of shows here and there.