Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Review: XV- Squarians, Vol. 1


I realize that allowing a free mix tape to fill me with anger, disgust and disappointment is silly.

Squarians, Vol. 1, a project released by XV three days ago, is an execrable effort that's forced me to reconsider the ways in which I've championed the Wichita-based rapper for over four years.  Popular Culture, XV's previous 2012 mix tape, was a smart, innovative and entertaining concept album.  I was convinced that XV was destined to become the most popular rapper from Kansas or Missouri for all of the right reasons.  Apparently, I was wrong.

Squarians, Vol. 1 is an extended celebration of drugs and misogyny.  He takes a shot at 2 Chainz on "Got This Year," then proceeds to be every bit as dopey on the subsequent track "Ganja and Pasta."  (Ugh!)  "That Bowl" wouldn't be worthy of Asher Roth or Sam Adams.  "Now Let's Go In" panders to the University of Kansas.  The only tolerable track is a remake of "Be There, Be Square", a song recycled from Popular Culture.

My L7s are no longer in the air.


---
I reviewed Friday's concert by the Vijay Iyer Trio.

---
I reviewed Hammerween on Saturday.

---
The Kansas City Star offers the backstory on the death of Creepy Face.

---
video of the Natural State performing in ankle deep water in a cave captures the band's appeal.  I reviewed a recent gig by the Natural State here.

---
The video for "Sewer Dweller" has me excited about Conflicts' forthcoming EP.  

---
Awful news for There Stands the Glass favorite P.O.S.- his tour is postponed to enable him to get a kidney replacement.  He talks about it here

---
Jim Wunderle of Springfield has died.

---
Manu Katché's new album sounds very nice.

---
August Burns Red has released a Christmas album.

---
Although they lack the support of a record label, Australia's The Rubens sure look and sound like the next big thing.  "My Gun" is RIYL Gnarls Barkley, the Black Keys, commercial radio.

---
The black comedy of Mark Eitzel's Don't Be a Stranger video series continues to amuse me.

---
Et tu, Death Grips?  Rapping over the original vocal tracks doesn't work for me.

---
Kansas City Click: Todd Snider serves as Tuesday's headliner at Knuckleheads.

Enter Shikari are on Wednesday's bill at the Beaumont Club.

Whitey Morgan & the 78s play the Czar Bar on Thursday.

(Original image of defaced promotional poster by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

bigsteveno said...

drabitiMan, I didn't know there were more of those Mark Eitzel videos. Hilarious. Thanks for the heads up.

Happy In Bag said...

So funny, BigSteveNO. Sad sacks are funny. (I should know.)