Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Nerds!























I'm a nerd who doesn't like nerd-rock.

What's nerd-rock?  I define it as brainy, self-conscious music made by nerds for their fellow nerds.  (Third-generation ska acts like Reel Big Fish, emo-rap acts like MC Chris and pop-punk acts like Bowling For Soup are disqualified from consideration because they try too hard.  Real nerds don't have a choice.)  

Cake meets my definition.  I'm envious of the dorky fun had by 2,000 Cake devotees at the Uptown Theater last Friday.  (Here's my review.)   I don't dislike Cake, but the band's music just doesn't connect with me.  I'm similarly indifferent to nerd-rock acts like Ben Folds, They Might Be Giants, OK Go and Barenaked Ladies.

I fell hard for Camper Van Beethoven when I saw the band in the basement of a college dorm, but my infatuation was short-lived.  Weezer comes a bit closer to the mark. So, is there any nerd-rock I do embrace?  Yes indeed- Elvis Costello, De La Soul and the Descendents.

"I'm Not a Loser!"


---
I reviewed an odd outing by Suzanne Vega and Duncan Sheik.

---
I'm quoted in Tim Finn's study of aging musicians.

---
Bostyx! (Via Rock Town Hall.)

---
"Guitar tutor" Bert Weedon has died.  (Tip via B.G.O.)

---
Bassist Chris Ethridge has died.

---
I can't remember why I failed to go to the "I'm So Glad" gospel concert at my church a couple months ago.  (Tip via Tony's Kansas City.)

---
ECM created an  audio teaser for the new album by John Abercrombie and Joe Lovano.

---
Here's a nice video survey of last month's Middle of the Map festival.

---
Beau Bledsoe improves the quality of (my) life in Kansas City.

---
"Come On"!  I spend a lot of time thinking about Chuck Berry.

---
Kansas City Click: I wrote about revisiting The Majestic at Plastic Sax.  Here's the venue's calendar.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

Matthew B. said...

haha i love nerd rock