Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sunburned and Constipated


















I listened to the All Songs Considered podcast discussion of The Year's Best Music (So Far) yesterday. I enjoyed the effort even though I don't share the panelists' tastes. NPR Music, the forum's parent, offered a separate list that includes a handful of titles more to my liking. Even so, the sensibilities of these refined list makers is worlds removed from mine. "Sunburned and constipated," I responded when a friend asked how I was feeling yesterday. I blasted a rock station's broadcast of Korn's "Freak On a Leash" and Staind's "For You" during my commute from work last night. No, I don't have a CD player in my car. I don't even have A/C. My affection for disaffected music is undoubtedly related to that issue.

---
This week's new releases, in order of personal preference: Pat Metheny, Terakaft, Bad Meets Evil (Eminem and Royce Da 5'9"), Aaron Goldberg/Guillermo Klein, Ledisi, , Erik Friedlander, Neil Young, Freddie Hubbard, Junior Boys, Madeleine Peyroux and Black Country Communion.

---
Marilyn Maye has been hospitalized.

---
I reviewed Deborah Brown's recent concert at Plastic Sax.

---
Music industry veteran Steve Popovich died June 8.

---
Seth Putnam of Anal C*nt has died.

--
Credentials HIp Hop, a Kansas City hip hop blog, is back on the scene.

---
Kansas City Click: March Fourth Marching Band performs at Crossroads KC on Tuesday.

Brandi Carlile is Wednesday's opener at Starlight.

Jason Ricci plays Knuckleheads on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

bgo said...

Pat's new one is so super great. One could look at the song choices and wonder if he was going to make a mainstream pop record and instead produces one of the most heartfelt recordings of his now long career. Every song is an old friend of mine and to hear him re-imagine them is so damn sweet. It's in the top 10 of 2011 no matter what.

I remember back before he left town and was still I kid, playing with Paul Smith, David Breedlove and Brooks Wright in a group called Four. At a gig they played a tune by Ornette (Broadway Blues) that Pat really loved. Back then he already had it all in place. Bless him.

Anonymous said...

I love it too, BGO. -Bill B.