Thursday, June 16, 2011

Review: David Bazan- Strange Negotiations
















A lot of my acquaintances are baffled by my faith. Many people seem to think that drinking, cursing and headbanging are incompatible with spirituality. The most intolerant accusations, ironically, usually come from people who disdain religion entirely. David Bazan has dealt with these issues on a dramatic scale. While his relationship with God is none of my business, it continues to make for compelling music. Strange Negotiations, his latest post- Pedro the Lion album, combines the philosophical musings of vintage Richard Thompson with the toughness of contemporary rockers like F*cked Up. My favorite song on the album, "Virginia", is atypically austere.


---
The video for Bill Wells and Aidan Moffat's "The Copper Top" is devastating. Watch it and weep.

---
Pat Metheny continues to find new ways to blow my mind.

---
Carl Gardner of The Coasters has died. Here's my summer theme song.

---
I admired Old Crow Medicine Show's first concert in Kansas City, Missouri. Here's my review.

---
Kansas City Click: I don't know why another dude's name is attached to some of these blurbs, but these show previews- excepting the one for Ray LaMontagne- are mine. You can find my work every week in Ink Magazine.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: