Friday, April 04, 2008

Otis Rush- All Your Love

















Love is dead.

I hate to admit that I've lost my taste for the blues. In the late '80s and early '90s I'd go to clubs to catch artists like Albert Collins, Gatemouth Brown, James Harman, Koko Taylor, Son Seals and Johnny Copeland several times a month. I'm not sure if I've changed or if the music's changed, but I rarely get excited about guitar-based live blues shows these days.

Still, there's no excuse for me to have never once mentioned Otis Rush at There Stands the Glass. He's near the top of the blues pantheon, and his Cobra sides still sound dangerous. This video gives a sense of Rush in his prime. I haven't seen him lately, but he's in great form on this 1977 live date.

I can only hope that guys like Marquise Knox and the new release by The Black Keys get me back on track.

---
I was delighted to post this humble home movie of Pete Eye at my my jazz site today.

---
Am I ever impressed with Melody Gardot! I'm distressed that I hadn't heard of the jazz-oriented vocalist until this week.

---
Kansas City Click: Mac Lethal and Grieves kick off their Rotten Apple Tour at the Riot Room tonight. I'll be there, of course.

Ben Folds plays what I suspect is a students-only concert on the UMKC campus Saturday.

CES Cru will be among the performers Sunday night at the Peanut.

No comments: