Thursday, June 21, 2007

Keith Richards and the Band- Deuce and a Quarter

















Spent.

I didn't recognize the name Richard Bell when I first spotted news of his death. So I was amazed when I looked into his discography. He worked with a vast array of artists- from Janis Joplin to the Blue Aeroplanes. Bell and Garth Hudson play keyboards on this star-studded session that served as an overdue appreciation of Scotty Moore and D.J. Fontana. Man, I love Keith, but pairing him with Levon Helm, one of the greatest voices in popular music, just isn't fair. All the King's Men, released in 1997, is out of print.

---
Robert Johnson fans need to see this great video interpretation of his most definitive song.

---
Has anyone else noticed that "Icky Thump" is obviously based on this AC/DC song? The crunch, the bagpipes, the rawk- it's all there.

---
Kansas City Click: Few landmark artists are responsible for as much horrific music as Little Stevie Winwood. Let's hope he sticks to the (plentiful) good stuff tonight at the Uptown.

4 comments:

jonder said...

I am a sucker for anything Band-related. Thank you once again. Have you heard Levon Helm's recent records?

Happy In Bag said...

I haven't heard that stuff, Jon. But I'd sure love to hit one of those "living room" shows.

Long Road said...

There appear to be at least two Richard Bells ! The blue aeroplanes one is alive and well and visited my brother in late June. Interestingly eclectic discography resulted from the confusion!

pete

Happy In Bag said...

Thanks for checking in, Pete. I appreciate the effort behind your Specials site.