Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Bela Fleck- John Hardy

















John moved on.

Bela Fleck disappoints me. I've long asserted that he's capable of producing some of the most interesting music of our time. I consider him a genius. Yet most of his projects seem like dead ends. The cheesy EPK for his new collaboration with Chick Corea is a flaming red flag to me. While I have a weakness for jazz fusion that's rarely displayed in this space, I wish Fleck would spend more time in settings like Tabula Rasa. The out-of-print 1994 session with V.M. Bhatt is amazing. "John Hardy" is its most straightforward piece.

---
I drool all over Alison Krauss here.

---
Every single male friend I spoke to yesterday asked me if I'd picked up Icky Thump. Either I need to expand my circle of pals or the White Stripes are going to trounce Bon Jovi, Brad Paisley and Huey in their debut week. And yeah- of course I bought it.

---
Kansas City Click: The Tennessee Three are at Knuckleheads tonight.

3 comments:

WLIB said...

Too many possibilities, that's my take on the Fleck conundrum. Sucks to be a genius. ;)

--

Can't say as I blame you for the drool.

--

Good thing you didn't call me yesterday. I know squat about Icky Thump (cuz I live in a hole) but I felt a great sadness come over me when I saw that Meg was back behind a drum kit. Mitch Mitchell and Keith Moon are rolling over in their graves, Beethoven.

--

Welcome back, Mr. Bag! (two days late)

Happy In Bag said...

Aw, Lee, that's not a very nice comment about Meg. In fact, Bela would be better if he went "primitive." And for the record, I love her style.

WLIB said...

You forgot to put style in quotes. ;)