Friday, June 22, 2007

Arturo Sandoval- Alo Chicoy

















Thanks, Arturo!

This oddity is the most obscure Arturo Sandoval title I own. It was recorded with a Cuban band in London two years before the jazz trumpeter defected to the United States. The dated funk-fusion might shock trad jazz fans, but it shows that Sandoval's showy bluster was in full effect prior to his relative mainstream stardom. I once saw Sandoval participate in a festival's Q-and-A session. He's quite the salty character. This video shows a side of Sandoval familiar to today's audiences. This routine is equal parts Jackie Gleason, Dizzy Gillespie and Robin Williams.

---
How old am I? Old enough to relate to every word of Bucky Covington's "A Different World". How young am I? Young enough to know that bitter nostalgia is for losers.

---
I've neglected to link to my review of Rockfest. The raging live version of Drowning Pool's "Bodies" resonates with me two weeks later.

---
Kansas City Click: Merle flippin' Haggard is at the VooDoo tonight.

Sandoval and Eldar share the stage Saturday at Jazz In the Woods.

How 'bout the Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash at the Record Bar on Sunday? Howard Iceberg & the Titanics open.

No comments: