Thursday, June 29, 2006

Steady As She Goes: Music Midway In 2006



















The Widow's Walk continues at the Architect's site.

TOP TEN ALBUMS
The Raconteurs' "Steady As She Goes" is an appropriate theme for this mid-year assessment. I really enjoy each of these albums. But I don't love any of them as I did like The Hold Steady's Separation Sunday in 2005 or The Streets' A Grand Don't Come For Free and Kanye West's The College Dropout in 2004. Maybe that will change when the new Johnny Cash album comes out next week or when the surround-sound version of The Flaming Lips' At War With the Mystics is finally issued. And Art Brut is a grower.

1. P.O.S.- Audition
2. Elvis Costello- My Flame Burns Blue
3. Ghostface- Fishscale
4. Arctic Monkeys- Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
5. The Architects- Revenge
I fear that my favorite regional rock band, the mighty Architects, are getting lost in the shuffle. Revenge is the Midwest's answer to American Idiot. That they're not everyone's "it" band befuddles me. The MP3 above demonstrates how they channel the spirit of Joe Strummer.
6. The New Tragedies- Vanity Vanity
7. Gregory Hickman-Williams- Passages
8. Gomez- How We Operate
9. The New Amsterdams- Story Like a Scar
10. Art Brut- Bang Bang Rock & Roll

TOP TEN SONGS
The bitchin' sound system in my 13-year-old sedan has both AM and FM! To qualify in this category a song must have blasted from the car's factory stereo via a commercial radio broadcast. This rule disqualifies brilliance from Cat Power, The Boy Least Likely To, Lil Wayne, P.O.S., Be Your Own Pet and Belle & Sebastian.

1. Anthony Hamilton- Can't Let Go
2. Gnarls Barkley- Crazy
3. E40- Tell Me When To Go
4. Chamillionaire- Ridin'
5. The Flaming Lips- The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song... (With All Your Power)
6. Arctic Monkeys- I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor
7. Ghostface- Back Like That (featuring Ne-Yo)
8. Raconteurs- Steady As She Goes
9. Don Omar- Ojitos Chiquitos
10. Band of Horses- The Funeral

LIVE PERFORMANCES
Like a jerk, I've missed area shows by Art Brut, P.O.S. and Mac Lethal.

1. Erin Bode- Jazz In the Woods Festival
2. Matthew Ryan and David Mead- Mike's Tavern
3. The Architects- The Hurricane
4. Joan Jett- Verizon Amphitheater
5. David Ford and Gomez- Grand Emporium
6. Lee Konitz and Bill Frisell- The Folly
7. Bob Dylan and Merle Haggard- The Midland Theater
8. Flaco Jimenez- KC Fiesta
9. Rhino Bucket and Whiskey Boots- Mike's Tavern
10. The Dresden Dolls- Borders in-store

1 comment:

Will said...

2006 has been really, really good for new music as far as I'm concerned. Excellent selections and some new stuff I need to check out.