Saturday, February 01, 2020
January 2020 Recap: A Monthly Exercise in Critical Transparency
Top Five Albums
1. Jeremy Pelt- The Art of Intimacy, Vol. 1
I usually can’t be bothered with new mainstream jazz albums, but this tender trio recording buckles my knees.
2. Bill Fay- Countless Branches
I’m only slightly embarrassed to admit to being profoundly moved by Fay’s loopy mysticism and sentimental folk-rock.
3. Jennifer Curtis and Tyshawn Sorey- Invisible Ritual
4. Diana Damrau- Richard Strauss
Wandering in darkness.
5. Majid Bekkas- Magic Spirit Quartet
Top Five Songs
1. Future and Drake- “Life is Good”
2. 070 Shake- “Guilty Conscious”
The pop of tomorrow sounds a lot like the pop of yesterday.
3. Sa-Roc- “Hand of God”
4. Eminem featuring Royce da 5’9” and Black Thought- “Yah Yah”
Bring da ruckus.
5. Moneybagg Yo featuring DaBaby- “Protect Da Brand”
An extended period of mourning, a debilitating illness and the trip of a lifetime prevent me from listing five worthwhile shows. I intend to make up for the uncharacteristic breach in February.
You can pick up where I left off in 2019 here.
(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)