Monday, December 19, 2016

Album Review: Ingrid Laubrock- Serpentines


Free jazz is often deliberately off-putting.  I suspect that a lot of obtuse improvised music may be little more than self-indulgent pranks.  That’s not the case with Serpentines, a new recording overseen by Ingrid Laubrock.  The saxophonist’s adventurous cohorts include the monumental drummer Tyshawn Sorey and celebrated pianist Craig Taborn, but it’s the electronics of Sam Pluta that differentiate Serpentines from less credible noisemakers.  ”Chip in Brain” is my jam.


---
I reviewed a spectacular concert by Maxwell and Mary J. Blige.

---
I wrote an extended concert preview about Third Eye Blind for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I named Eddie Moore the Plastic Sax Person of the Year.

---
I was a guest on a two-hour edition of the Eight One Sixty radio program on 90.9 The Bridge.

---
I reviewed a concert by Milky Chance, Marian Hill, Banks & Steelz and Shaed.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
Joe Ligon of the Mighty Clouds of Joy has died.

---
Even as an impressionable kid attending one of his first big indoor concerts, I was nonplussed by the garish drum and keyboard workouts during Emerson, Lake & Palmer’s 1977 appearance at Municipal Auditorium.  Greg Lake’s efforts have always been considerably more appealing to me.  Lake died earlier this month.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.

No comments: