Friday, August 09, 2013

Album Review: Revocation- S/T


I'm going through some extremely difficult stuff at the moment.  While my first instinct is to throw a pity party while I put soul tracks like "I Wish It Would Rain" on repeat, I'm using Revocation's new self-titled album to help me work out a bit of my frustration.  The Boston-based band has created one of the year's most devastating albums.  The opening track "The Hive" is representative of the project.  It's brutal music for bleak times.  


---
George Duke has died.  I recently wrote about Duke here and here.

---
"Cowboy" Jack Clement has died.

---
Tech N9ne claims that "I'm gonna be the first rapper to cross over to black folk" on "B.I.T.C.H.".  His new album debuted at #4 on Billboard's Top 200 chart.

---
Christian McBride's first album of 2013 didn't do anything for me.  I'm hoping for different results from his new Out Here release.  Here's the EPK.

---
CSS turned me on to As Mercenárias in their charming episode  of "What's In My Bag?"

---
Myron & E's "Do It Do It Disco" is my jam.  RIYL: Sam and Dave, Joe Simon, the Dells.

---
I enjoy The Vigil, Chick Corea's new old-school fusion release.  The amazing album cover is, ahem, truly memorable.

---
The Flaming Lips and Animal Collective are participating in Cassette Store Day.  Of course they are.

---
Here's a video for "Of Many, One", a track from the forthcoming album by Brian Haas and Matt Chamberlain.  RIYL: the Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, Critters Buggin, Philip Glass.

---
One of my preachers is also a folk singer.

---
Here's a nice video feature about Afropunk.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: