Monday, February 13, 2012

The Star Maker Machinery Behind the Popular Song


















I listened to a conservative talk show host during my commute Monday morning. (I know.) She blamed the recent death of a prominent pop star on "cultural degradation." That's dumb. Against my better judgement, I'll share my theory. A close friend died last year. I consider his passing the culmination of a twenty-year-long suicide. He was unwilling to break free from the expectations that had been forced upon him. He dealt with his internal conflict in an unhealthy manner. I sense that the pop star may have been just like my friend. It's heartbreaking that neither was able to reject the pressure to fulfill false obligations.


---
I reviewed Roy Ayers' concert Saturday.

---
I consider the new venue at Kansas City Academy at Plastic Sax.

---
Brother Ali dropped a free new 27-minute EP today. It's not his best work, but hey, the price is right.

---
Rich the Factor's social media feed slays me. Here's a recent sample: I broke my MFR bracelet last nite cancoonin too hard one love to moms at town topic for the burgers yeah no bodyguards hangn out til 4 tho

---
I like the feel of the new video from She's a Keeper.

---
Kansas City Click: I don't know if the booking of the Pretty Things Peep Show at the Beaumont Club on Valentine's Day is pure genius or a train wreck in the making.

Does loving Psychostick's "Girl Directions" make me a horrible person? The band appears at the Beaumont Club on Wednesday.

The Features return to the Record Bar on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: