Monday, February 27, 2012

Review: Charles Gayle- Streets



















In a candid interview with the Village Voice, Charles Gayle refers to portions of his approach on the new album Streets as "paint-peeling" music. When I worked in record stores, I called the sound "room-clearing." It's funny, though, because I find Streets not just bracing, but remarkably soothing. Sure, it's "out", but anyone who's accepted Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane shouldn't be intimidated by Gayle's ferocity or spiritual inspiration. Streets is a strong candidate for the #BAM, gospel, folk or jazz album of 2012.


---
I reviewed Benny Golson's appearance at the Blue Room on Saturday.

---
I recently happened upon the documentary Music By Prudence. Watch it if you need a bit of inspiration.

---
Here's some life-affirming S.E. Rogie via BigSteveNO.

---
Anyone who's been to an "active rock" concert in the past dozen years knows that a sincere acknowledgement of men and women serving in the military is a part of the ritual. The video for Black Stone Cherry's "In My Blood" takes it one step further.

---
Suspect's "Kansas City Anthem" keeps it real. (Tip via Tony's Kansas City.)

---
Diverse Plays Michael Jackson shows are thrilling.

---
I recently rediscovered "Ripple". That's my jam.

---
New Death Grips.

---
Kansas City Click: I'd like to be at the Westport Coffee House on Monday, Knuckleheads on Tuesday, the Beaumont on Wednesday and Sprint Center on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

AdamNSPY said...

What does #BAM stand for?
bad ass music?

Happy In Bag said...

I'm sure you're hip to the #BAM movement, Adam. And thanks for releasing such a bad ass album.