Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Ugly Bright Wholesome Reality




















Laundry detergent- $11.99. Toothpaste- $4.74. Deluxe version of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy- $13.99. Loaf of bread- $1.99.

I have nothing against Target, but my heart broke this morning as I purchased a physical copy of Kanye West's new album from my neighborhood mass merchandiser. As I wrote yesterday at Plastic Sax, my town doesn't have an independent record store that stocks much new music. So Target it is.

My actions, furthermore, confuse me. I noted earlier this month that I already have a digital copy of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. And Pitchfork's perfect ten notwithstanding, I don't like it nearly as much as, say, Graduation.

I guess I love Kanye even more than I imagined.


---
Bluesman Smokey Smothers has died.

---
Two Midwestern music industry veterans named Steve have new music blogs. Here's Steve Pick's new site and here's Steve Wilson's new effort.

---
I reviewed a recent Brandon Flowers show. It was fine. I caught Os Mutantes the next night. It was life-changing.

---
Kansas City Click: Abel Ramirez' weekly Tuesday gig is now at Ari's Greek Restaurant.

The Soft Reeds play the Brick on Wednesday.

Dave Stephens is a perfect choice to lead the band at the Plaza lighting ceremony on Thanksgiving.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

4 comments:

bgo said...

Why is Dave Stephens the 'perfect choice'? You got some explainin' to do on that one, pal. Kanye West reads your blog too and I heard he is going to incinerate PVKS. Happy Thanksgiving and all that jazz.

Happy In Bag said...

BGO-

1. Dave Stephens is a "festive" and "zany" crossover artist. The "wacky" tone he sets is precisely what the Plaza bigwigs desire. 'Splained.

2. As far as I know, Kansas City's Thanksgiving blues dance tradition has come to an abrupt end. No big Armory show and nothing at Bodyworks Phase II or the Epicurean. Depressing.

3. I've enjoyed monitoring your FB discussions about Kanye.

Matt said...

Not my favorite Kanye album either (mine would be Late Registration) but it's very good. I'm also not sure if any album justifies a 10 rating, but if they gave out a rating just for the production, I'd give MBDTF a 10.

If you added a few of the better GOOD Fridays tracks, 'Christian Dior Denim Flow' being one, to the album it would definitely be my favorite Kanye album and maybe my favorite album of 2011.

Happy In Bag said...

I generally agree with you, Matt.

Incidentally, one hip hop album by a marginally talented rap star will probably make my year-end Top Ten just because its production tickles my ears.