Friday, August 27, 2010

Review: Mike Farris- The Night the Cumberland Came Alive


















Free three-song Mike Farris download.

I don't begrudge Tom Jones the critical acclaim he's received for his new gospel-themed album. It's good. Mike Farris, the former vocalist of the Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies, is no less an unlikely gospel singer than Jones. Shout! was my #20 album of 2009. (Here's my review.)

On the new 6-song The Night the Cumberland Came Alive, Farris fronts a band that includes Sam Bush, Kenny Vaughan and two members of Old Crow Medicine Show. Played in a "pre-war American music" style, the impeccably soulful songs are a response to the flood that struck Nashville a few months ago.

From a press release: A portion of the proceeds from the sale of the EP will be used to benefit the Downtown Presbyterian Church's ministry to the homeless in Nashville, which seems fitting as the record was recorded in less than a day at that historic building. Autographed copies of the recording are available for $10 here.

---
Jason Crane of The Jazz Session provides Plastic Sax readers with an advance preview of his podcast featuring guitarist Steve Cardenas.

---
Outsiders interested in the look and feel of Kansas City need to see the newly-released video for "Sunstorm", Mac Lethal's profane love letter to our town.

---
Here's the money line of an excellent interview with Robert Glasper: "I'm not really married to the craft of jazz- I'm married to me, and my style, and whatever I produce."

---
My feelings will be hurt if the Jay-Z/Eminem tour doesn't stop at the Sprint Center.

---
Kansas City Click: The Good Foot play The Record Bar on Friday.

The cool kids are in a dither about Alejandro Escovedo's Saturday show at The Record Bar. I love the guy too, but I'll be at Marty Stuart's concert at the Paola Roots Festival. Grace Potter & The Nocturnals and Anthony Gomes open.

Sunday is the 90th anniversary of Charlie Parker's birth. You'll find me at his grave in Lincoln Cemetery at 1 p.m. Here's my video of the proceedings in 2008.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: