Saturday, October 03, 2009

The Enchanters- I Paid For the Party

















The party's over.

I distinctly recall buying The Best of Loma Records: The Rise and Fall of a 1960's Soul Label as a new release in 1995. I needed to add Lorraine Ellison's "Stay With Me" to my collection. As is the case with most soul music compilations, however, I quickly fell in love with the stuff I hadn't heard. Sure, it's nice owning another copy of LInda Jones' "Hypnotized" and J.J. Jackson's "But It's Alright," but the previously undiscovered gems like the Enchanter's 1965 effort "I Paid For the Party" absolutely floored me. The CD is out of print, but the entire 50-track collection is a steal at Amazon for only $9.99.

---
Have you seen Ghostface's shocking new video? It's not exactly "Isn't She Lovely," but I'm still very pleased by its mature content.

---
Follow the drama about Passion Pit's cancellation in Kansas City here.

---
Here's "Show Me a God", the first video from Tech N9ne's forthcoming album. (I like it.)

---
I'll let my review of Wednesday's arena show by the Dave Matthews Band and Willie Nelson speak for itself.

---
Amy Farris has died. (Tip via S.S.)

---
Blues drummer Sam Carr has died. (Tip via BGO.)

---
DJ Mr. Magic has died.

---
Kansas City Click: When Ida McBeth is on stage Saturday at Jardine's, it'll look and and sound exactly like this. Why, oh why, do people insist on talking?

The People's LIberation Big Band returns to the Record Bar on Sunday. Because they're always pressing forward, it probably won't look or sound anything like this.

No comments: