Monday, June 29, 2009

Michael Jackson, 1958-2009















"I Want You Back." Michael Jackson was always a part of my life. "ABC." I bought the 45. The Jackson 5ive. The Saturday morning cartoon series wasn't as nearly good as Fat Albert or as mind-blowing as Land of the Lost, but I watched it religiously. "Ben." The theme song from a creepy movie really hit home for me. It remains my favorite MJ song. "Dancing Machine." Girls are starting to become interesting. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough." Driving. Dating. Drinking. "Billie Jean." Cable television changed everything. And not for the better. "Remember the Time." The 1992 hit marked the end of my run with Michael's new music. And yes, if you must know, I shed a few tears after I heard the news. I cried for both of us. "Most people would turn you away/I don't listen to a word they say./They don't see you as I do/I wish they would try to."

---
I caught Talib Kweli's disastrous "show" Thursday night. Here's my review. Nas and Damian Marley's collaboration Friday will likely be my top show of 2009. Here's my review. I attended the Kansas City Kansas Street Blues Festival on Saturday. Here's my review. Last night, I caught Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band with Deep Sea Diver and Michael Runion. Here's my review.

---
Kansas City Click: "Roadrunner roadrunner!" Jonathan Richman may or may not perform his seminal song when he appears tonight at The Record Bar.

AfterGroove play jazz fusion at Jardine's on Tuesday.

No comments: