Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Dirty Dozen Brass Band- Five Aquariums















Drained.

One of the most encouraging trends in recent years is the gravitation of young hipsters to funk-oriented jazz. And music in that category doesn't get much funkier, or jazzier, than The Dirty Dozen Brass Band. It's a limited sample size, but I'm delighted to watch as several teenagers I know get behind New Orleans brass bands. There's hope yet. "Five Aquariums" is taken from Ears To the Wall, a promo-only title from 1996.

---
I just stumbled upon this 1982 video of the Blue Riddim Band. It documents one of the most glorious moments in the history of the Kansas City music scene. (Don't miss the time stamp.) While I have no recollection of having been in attendance, I think that the goofball at 0:38 might be me.

---
I'm enjoying Steve Pick's excellent "Albums of My Life" series at Lockwood & Summit.

---
Here's my review of Rockfest.

---
My life is simpler now that I've switched my Kansas City Jazz Calendar over to a Google Calendar format.

---
Kansas City Click: Barclay Martin appears at Jardine's tonight.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs come to The Beaumont Club Wednesday.

2 comments:

bgo said...

One of the most memorable nights of my life was a Monday back in the mid 1980's. I attended the weekly gig at The Glass House in Uptown New Orleans of the still fairly newly formed Dirty Dozen Brass Band. Admission was free and they served cold beer with stellar Red Beans & Rice. You should have been there.

Anonymous said...

I was there and it changed my life