Thursday, October 09, 2008

Dexter Gordon- Besame Mucho

















No mas.

"I don't like jazz."

Now, more than ever, I'm accustomed to hearing that phrase. It doesn't really bother me, but I suspect that many of the naysayers are merely uninformed. I wish everyone could experience the sounds and images contained in this documentary footage featuring Dexter Gordon. If doubters still aren't feeling it, then I guess jazz really isn't for them. I'm fine with that.

The out-of-print 1982 album American Classic looks great on paper. The icon is joined by the likes of Shirley Scott and Grover Washington, Jr. Excepting Gordon's extended meditation on "Skylark," the project doesn't completely click. The somewhat lackluster "Besame Mucho" is typical.

---
I loved Nikka Costa's performance at the Record Bar last night. Here's my review.

---
Kansas City Click: Unless someone buys me a cocktail, I'll be on a "Natural High" during Bloodstone's show tonight on the Power & Light District stage.

No comments: