Monday, September 29, 2008

Subramaniam- Blossom

















Wilted.

I rescued Blossom from a cutout bin a couple decades ago. As with many such impulsive purchases, I immediately regretted it. I was going through a jazz purist phase and not even the presence of my hero Herbie Hancock allowed me to forgive the decidedly commercial tone of the 1981 album led by the Indian violinist. Today, the 1981 album sounds absolutely visionary. It's sample heaven. Guitarist Larry Coryell and pianist George Cables are featured on the title track.

---
Maroon 5 fans are unhappy with my review of Friday's show. I did like Counting Crows and Augustana.

---
The Sting, starring the late Paul Newman, was my introduction to Scott Joplin.

---
Big band vocalist Connie Haines died last week. (Tip via BGO.)

---
Don't forget that the "new" Bob Dylan release begins streaming at midnight at NPR.

---
Kansas City Click: MGMT opens for Beck tonight at the Uptown.

No comments: