Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Alison Moyet- Satellite

















Landed.

I liked High School Musical 2. Sue me.

It's set at a country club on summer vacation, so I expected a heightened level of romance and accordant sexual tension. I was wrong. It's a completely antiseptic document perfectly suitable for American grade schoolers. Maybe it's just me, but there is one scene that seemed to convey an unlikely homosexual theme. In the Michael Jackson-flavored "I Don't Dance," two young men compete in a jazz-dance battle. Lyrics like "I'll show you how I swing/You'll never know if you never try/There's just one little thing that stops me every time" seem open to liberal interpretration.

I'm much more comfortable with Alison Moyet singing about a "she-boy" on this song from her 1994 Essex release. Unlike the content of High School Musical 2, it's honest and direct. Here's a Moyet video from the same period.

---
My friend M. uncovered a lovely version of "Waterloo Sunset" by a Vietnamese band.

---
Kansas City Click: Mark Lowrey is at Jardine's tonight.

No comments: