Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Jack DeJohnette- Ntoro II

















The MP3 is gone.

Kathleen, a coworker at a record store, gave me this oddity as a birthday gift in 1989. While I was touched by the gesture, I detested the CD. What on earth was Jack DeJohnette, one of the world's great drummers, thinking when he recorded this project? I'm sure I hurt Kathleen's feelings with criticism of the recording's primitive synth tones and monotonous musings. Seventeen years later, it sounds groundbreaking and adventurous. Lester Bowie's trumpet work doesn't hurt, either. If you're out there, Kathleen- I'm sorry.

---
My review of last night's show by the Goo Goo Dolls, Lifehouse and Colbie Caillat is here.

---
Kansas City Click: Throw on your tie-dye and head down to Jazz (the old Jimmy's Jigger) for Yossarian's Lament.

3 comments:

brucedene said...

Gone as in passed away, or gone as in '...daddy gone'? 'Cause I can't find any info about a recent passing...

Happy In Bag said...

Sorry, Bruce. I was unintentionally misleading when I took down the MP3, so I've changed that text. Jack's fine.

brucedene said...

Whew!