Friday, February 16, 2007

Wallace Roney- Astral Radium

















Lost in space.

Wallace Roney's liner notes for his out-of-print 1996 release indicate that he was in the midst of a cultural war within the jazz community. While the Teo Macero production sounds very much like Miles did forty years ago, it's clear that Roney felt like he was under attack by moldy figs. "I don't like using the stage or recordings as report cards of whether I've done my 'homework,'" Roney writes. "...I've done my homework; I don't want to do yours as well." Yikes! Twelve years later, Roney's bringing a DJ to his gig in my town Saturday night. And the new material posted at his MySpace page is fresh and exciting.

---
I'm digging the Eric Dolphy-inspired sound of Swedish jazz act Exploding Customer. Roney and a few other notables excepted, could the assertion that the most interesting new jazz is happening overseas really be true?

---
Kansas City Click: If you favor traditional song-based rock by the likes of Counting Crows and Matchbox 20, you'll be right at home at the Hurricane tonight. Cory Ryan heads a bill of like-minded locals. It's guaranteed to be hipster-free. Wallace Roney is at The Blue Room Saturday night. On Sunday, grizzled country outlaw Ray Wylie Hubbard and Gurf Morlix are at Knuckleheads. Hubbard can tell a great story. He narrates this hysterical animated tale.

No comments: