Thursday, February 01, 2007

Latimore- If You Were My Woman

















The party's over.

What songs can you count on hearing at least once a week, year after year? Is it "Welcome To the Jungle"? Maybe it's "Blackbird"? How about "Gin & Juice" or "Fool Hearted Memory"? In my case, I can't escape Latimore's "Let's Straighten It Out." I don't ever need to hear it again, but the song tracks me down via the radio and tavern jukeboxes. And I can count on every local blues and lounge-jazz band to cover the crowd pleaser. But Latimore is so much more than that one song. "If You Were My Woman" is prime deep Southern soul from 1974, and his work for Malaco over the last twenty years is also solid. And Latimore just slays 'em at his steamy performances. This excellent compilation is a good place to start digging in. But please do me a favor and skip the fourth song.

---
I just heard the introduction of Camera Obscura's brilliant "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken" used as bumper music on Dave Ramsey's financial advice radio show. When worlds collide, indeed.

No comments: