Monday, October 30, 2006

Big Joe Turner- Cherry Red



















The fun is over.

I finally got around to reading Kansas City Jazz: From Ragtime To Bebop, and I highly recommend it. Needless to say, Joe Turner is among the dozens of remarkable characters the book examines. The "Singing Bartender" is well past his glory days on this relaxed 1971 French date. It's delightful nonetheless. That's Milt Buckner on piano, Slam Stewart on bass and fellow Kansas Citian Jo Jones on drums.

---
Brace yourselves for this revelation, indie rock purists. I saw James Blunt cover this Pixies classic last week. And you know what? I liked it! "Woo-ooo!"

---
St. Louis' Vintage Vinyl records reported in their weekly email list that a former associate of mine, Bob Shoenfeld, died recently. Bob was the founder an owner of Nighthawk Records , a wonderful label best known for releasing excellent roots reggae and traditional folk blues titles. I didn't particularly care for Bob, but I never questioned his dedication to the music he loved.

No comments: