Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Album Review: Nubiyan Twist- Jungle Run


I came for Mulatu Astatke and stayed for the cosmic grooves.  The giant of Ethiopian jazz contributes to a selection on the new Nubiyan Twist album Jungle Run, but every track on the project fills me with a warmth that repels the excruciating winter chill.  Twining the sounds of Roy Ayers, Fela, Curtis Mayfield, Roni Size, Soul II Soul and Erykah Badu into a riveting fabric, the youthful British “future jazz/afro-dub” collective weave entirely new patterns into a comforting blanket that makes me feel more secure than Linus van Pelt.  Here’s “Tell It To Me Slowly”.


---
I write weekly concert previews for The Kansas City Star.

---
Natti Natasha’s Iluminatti bumps in my whip.  RIYL: Diplo, candy, Wisin & Yandel.  Here’s “Me Gusta”.

---
Hey, jerks: I’m still seeking a roommate for the Big Ears Festival in Knoxville next month.  I’m locked in for four nights at the convention hotel at the axis of the avant-garde hullabaloo.  Hit me up.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: