Monday, November 26, 2018

Album Review: Elvis Costello- Look Now

It’s not him, it’s me.  Many of my insightful peers insist that Elvis Costello’s Look Now is his best album in more than a decade.  While they’re probably right, I’m just not in a proper frame of mind to appreciate his baroque throwback pop.  There’s simply too much free jazz, contemporary pop, African funk, Chicago footwork and grimy hip-hop demanding my attention at the moment.  I look forward to revisiting Look Now when I’m in rocking chair mode.  RIYL: Burt Bacharach, Dionne Warwick’s greatest hits, Jimmy Webb.  Here’s “Suspect My Tears”.


---
I reviewed a concert by Bob Seger and Blue Water Highway for The Kansas City Star.

---
I reviewed a concert by Twenty One Pilots, Awolnation and Max Frost for The Kansas City Star.

---
I write weekly concert previews for The Kansas City Star.

---
I reviewed Peter Schlamb’s Electric Tinks at Plastic Sax.

---
I’ll inflict my taste on unsuspecting listeners of KTGB, 90.9 The Bridge, from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, November 27.

---
The Chicago bluesman Eddie C. Campbell has died.  (Tip via BGO.)

---
Patrick Mathé, the founder of New Rose and Last Call Records, has died.  (Tip via SS.)

---
The British folk prosthetizer Roy Bailey has died.  (Tip via BGO.)

---
Good intentions and outstanding musicianship don’t always result in worthwhile music. The heartfelt sincerity of Marcus Strickland’s People of the Sun is corny.  RIYL: Robert Glasper, disappointments, Bilal.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: