Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Album Review: Rodney Crowell- Acoustic Classics


Re-recordings by country artists are invariably dismal legal maneuvers.  Rodney Crowell’s Acoustic Classics is different.  For starters, the Texan never succumbed to has-been status.  Crowell is in his artistic prime as he nears his 68th birthday.  The songwriter redeems “Please Remember Me,” a goopy 1999 hit for Tim McGraw, refreshes “Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight”, a 1979 hit for the Oak Ridge Boys, and reworks “Shame on the Moon,” a 1982 hit for Bob Seger.  The new interpretations of “Making Memories of Us” and “After All This Time” bring me to tears.  May we all continue to outrun the train and outlast the pain.


---
I write weekly concert previews for The Kansas City Star.

---
I asssess the Folly Jazz Series' forthcoming season at Plastic Sax.

---
The jazz trumpeter Tomasz Stańko has died.  ECM created a nice memoriam for the Polish trailblazer.

---
I’d rather hang out with Cody Jinks than listen to his music.  Jinks and I could bond over our mutual admiration of Waylon Jennings, Joe Ely and Jerry Jeff Walker.  His new album Lifers acts as a fine homage to those troubadours.

---
Santigold’s I Don’t Want: The Gold Fire Sessions exudes the guileless creativity of M.I.A.’s 2004 mixtape Piracy Funds Terrorism.  RIYL: J Balvin, parties, Run the Jewels.

---
Azul in Ljubljana is an invigorating live recording by the longstanding trio of bassist Carlos Bica, guitarist Frank Möbus and drummer Jim Black.  RIYL: Dave Holland, Euro-jazz, Nels Cline.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

bgo said...

I've been playing the new Crowell in the car quite a bit of late. I like it a lot. Rodney has always been a notch above just about all of his fellow male artists.

bgo