Monday, September 26, 2016

Zydeco Boogaloo


Black Top 1024.  That’s how my customers and I identified Buckwheat Zydeco’s 100% Fortified Zydeco when they reordered the album.  The title was one of several releases by the exceptional ambassador of Louisiana music that were in my catalog during my tenure as a music industry sales rep.  No strain of indigenous American music is more discordant or just plain weird than zydeco.  Stanley Dural, the bandleader behind Buckwheat Zydeco who died last week, made the music accessible.  Without his genial refinements, the language barrier, scratch of washboards and cacophonous accordions associated with zydeco might have continued to keep the form a safe distance from the mainstream. 


---
I reviewed Chance the Rapper’s concert.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I praised Heidi Lynne Gluck on KCUR last week.

---
I address a pet peeve at the Kansas City jazz blog Plastic Sax.

---
I highlighted the music offerings at the Plaza Art Fair for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I reviewed a concert by Steve Martin, Martin Short and the Steep Canyon Rangers.

---
Jerry Corbetta of Sugarloaf has died.  (Tip via BGO.)

---
Shawty Lo has died.

---
Jean Shepherd has died.

---
Pádraig Duggan of Clannad has died.  (Tip via BGO.)

---
John D. Loudermilk has died.  (Tip via BGO.)

---
The music video for Shirley Collins’ ”Death and the Lady” is almost more than I can bear.

---
The heir to John Coltrane and Jimi Hendrix may be hiding in plain sight.  His name is John Scofield. On his excellently titled Country For Old Men, Scofield interprets classics like “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry.”

---
I loved the 2000 album dwightyoakamacoustic.net.  The country artist’s Swimmin’ Pools, Movie Stars… may be just as good.

---
Willie Nelson is on a roll.  For the Good Times: A Tribute to Ray Price is perfect.

---
Rose Out the Concrete, Rich the Factor’s third album in as many months, isn’t as good as Smile or Whale Mafi.  Here’s the Kansas City legend’s ”In the Kitchen”.

---
I won't pretend to understand Yermande, an astounding recording by Mark Ernestus' Ndagga Rhythm Force.  But it's wonderful.  (Tip via Big Steve.)

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

bgo said...

When Willie decides to not phone one in, the result is magical. He did Ray Price with his latest effort.

bgo