Monday, March 21, 2016

Album Review: Walker Family Singers- Panola County Spirit


Friends know that I throw myself into the Lenten season with gusto.  The deprivations I’ve endured (it’s day 41, but who’s counting?) have seemed inconsequential this year.  The Walker Family Singers’ Panola County Spirit is partly responsible for guiding me through this period.  The new album is an a cappella gospel gem that brings tears of gratitude to my eyes.  Here’s a frustratingly brief promo video.


---
I reviewed a thoroughly engaging concert by Nightwish, Sonata Arctica and Delain.

---
Patti Austin’s concert at the Gem Theater was a mess.  Here’s my review.

---
I discussed David Cook's career on KCUR last week.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I wrote an extended preview for Brian Fallon’s performance at the Riot Room.

---
I reviewed the Paul Shinn Trio’s Into That Good Night at Plastic Sax.

---
Steve Young has died.  ”It’s Not Supposed to Be That Way” is my favorite Young composition.

---
Julian Lage’s Arclight is excellent.  RIYL: Django Reinhardt, loud twang, Chet Atkins.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: