Monday, December 21, 2015

He Was a Friend of Mine


You don’t want to be my friend.

Four of my closest high school pals are dead.  I haven't spoken to a few others in years.  Maybe that’s why I reacted so poorly when a former classmate I’ve loved since the day we met in 1979 dropped a disheartening bomb on me during a break at last week’s appearance by Adam Lambert at the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.

While I discussed the merits of Pentatonix with his child, my friend casually mentioned that it was the first live music event he’d attended since he accompanied me to a 2001 show by Prince at Municipal Auditorium.

I responded by inviting the girl to move into my home to escape her unsound living conditions.  What’s worse- my failure to insist that my friend join me at any given show during the past 14 years or his inability to maintain a balanced life?

Then again, maybe the joke’s on me.  While I’ve spent much of my adult life listening to loud music in dark rooms, my friend has become a successful attorney and a prominent community leader.

What have I done?


---
I reviewed a concert by Adam Lambert and Pentatonix.

---
I played songs by Samantha Fish, Eddie Moore and the Outer Circle, Chris Hazelton’s Boogaloo 7, Kendrick Lamar, Rudresh Mahanthappa and Lila Downs during my appearance on KCUR’s Up To Date last week.  Here’s the podcast.

---
I write weekly music previews for The Kansas City Star and Ink magazine.

---
I contribute weekly Local Listen segments to KCUR.

---
I took notes at a performance by the Brian Scarborough Quintet at the Westport CoffeeHouse.

(Original image of Lemony Snicket at the Plaza Library by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

bgo said...

It's too late for me not to be your friend. Sorry I haven't posted of late. I'm sick of losing friends to time passing and dreaded and unwanted illnesses. Merry Christmas, Bill. I hope our paths cross in 2016.

bgo

Happy In Bag said...

Thanks, Bill. I look forward to our visit.