Monday, August 03, 2015

Album Review: Charlie Hunter- Let the Bells Ring On


The elusive audience for jazz is hiding in plain view in 2015.  Millions are appreciating Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp a Butterfly.  Hundreds of thousands more are dancing at concerts by the likes of Umphrey’s McGee.  Charlie Hunter must wonder what he has to do to get a single percentage of those people to pay attention to his funky new album Let the Bells Ring On.  It’s a jam album for jazz fans and jazz album for jam band aficionados.  It’s also begging for a hip-hop remix.  The populist sound of guitarist Hunter, trombonist Curtis Fowlkes and drummer Bobby Previte on ”These People?” is indicative of the album’s generous vibe.


---
I reviewed Dwight Yoakam’s concert in the Power & Light District.

---
I reviewed Samantha Fish’s Wild Heart for KCUR.

---
I contributed a Local Listen segment about the Philistines to KCUR.

---
Buddy Emmons has died.

---
Lynn Anderson has died.

---
Vic Firth has died.

---
Wayne Carson has died.

---
I listened to the reissue of In Through the Out Door over the weekend.  I didn’t comprehend until now that the Led Zeppelin album is an extended goof on Elvis.

---
I like the sound and feel of Ashes & Dust, Warren Haynes’ collaboration with Railroad Earth.  Too bad about the dodgy songs.

---
I just discovered Mathias Eick.  Here’s a live performanc of ”Hem”.  RIYL: European jazz, ECM, fiddle plucking.

---
Until I listened to the compilation Come and Get It: The Best of Apple Records a few days ago, I’d never heard Brute Force’s ”King of Fuh”.  I wish I’d known about the novelty song when I was young enough to appreciate it.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

bgo said...

What the hell does Fool In The Rain have to do with goofing on Elvis?

Happy In Bag said...

Plant seems to be deliberately singing in the style of the King (his groan at the 1:36 mark on the "Fool In the Rain" is just one example) while his band mates repeatedly reference the Sun Records sound.