Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Sickness


An ongoing battle with the flu has left me feeling like a desiccated bird.  The following loose ends are all I muster at the moment.


---
I reviewed Karrin Allyson's concert at the Folly Theater.

---
The Kansas City Star published a few dozen top album lists.

---
Deborah Brown is Plastic Sax's Person of the Year.

---
I participated in a Best Music of 2014 program on KCUR's Up to Date.  I also contributed Local Listen segments about BCR and Oleta Adams to the show.

---
I lost my mind over The Gobots' D-Boy Era in 2010.  What Happened to the World, the Jacka's new album, is the best thing he's done since then.  RIYL: Mac Dre, crack, Too Short.  Here's "Gang Starz".

---
I had to stop listening to Beautiful Life, Jimmy Greene's tribute to his late daughter, when a children's choir entered on "Ana's Song."

---
J. Cole's 2014 Forest Hills Drive is entertaining radio rap.  RIYL: Wale, rappers rapping about their careers, Kid Cudi.

---
I regret not listening to Sunny Sweeney's Provoked sooner.  It may be the best contemporary country album of 2014.  RIYL: Miranda Lambert, cheatin' songs, Kacey Musgraves.

---
Orange Goblin's Back From the Abyss is RIYL: Motorhead, beer, Black Sabbath.

---
Sleaford Mod's Divide and Exit is a hoot.  RIYL: Art Brut, getting yelled at, The Fall.

---
The hilarious Stromae demonstrates his great taste in a "What's In My Bag?" segment.

---
I respect the fact that a lot of my friends adore TV on the Radio's Seeds, but the album is not for me.  At every turn I expect the band to break into "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway."  RIYL: The Mars Volta, punk-prog, The Police's Synchronicity.  Here's "Happy Idiot".

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: