Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Bobby Womack, 1944-2004


I was late to Bobby Womack's party.  By the time I purchased the CD pictured above in the early '90s, I'd already become conversant with the works of most soul greats.  Hearing songs like "Lookin' For a Love," "That's the Way I Feel About Cha" and "Across 110th Street" for the first time was stunning.  I wondered how these gems weren't played alongside familiar radio hits by James Brown and Al Green.  After finally catching up with Womack, I was able to enjoy subsequent albums as new releases.  Womack died last week.  Here's Raphael Saadiq's new tribute song.

---
I reviewed Saturday's concert by Tech N9ne, Freddie Gibbs, Jarren Benton and the Psych Ward Druggies.

---
I reviewed Ray LaMontagne's concert at Starlight Theatre.

---
I yakked about music on KCUR's Up To Date last week.  Here's the stream.

---
Lee McBee has died.

---
Tech N9ne made a video for "Fear."

---
Here's the trailer for Arrows Into Infinity, a new documentary about Charles Lloyd.

---
I'm a Led Zeppelin freak but I'm not an apologist.  Here's essential documentation of LedZep's transgressions.  The insidious ads are a small price to pay.  (Tip via There Stands the Glass reader Phil.)

---
Har Mar Superstar stars in the excellent video for Trampled By Turtles' "Wild Animals."

---
Jimmy Cobb's The Original Mob bores me to tears.  I suppose that makes me a bad person.

---
It's not exactly funky, but Worry Later by the unapologetically geeky jazz trio of Ben Goldberg, Adam Levy and Smith Dobson is a sublime tribute to Monk. 

---
Mastodon's latest release sounds exactly like another Mastodon album.  Here's the video for "High Road".  RIYL: size, The Mars Volta, volume.

---
It takes 2 hours and 35 minutes to play the new compilation Role: New Sounds of Brazil.  Much of it is exemplary.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: