Friday, February 07, 2014

Album Review: Toni Braxton and Babyface- Love, Marriage & Divorce


I suppose my obsession with adult-themed duet albums began when I first put a ring on someone's finger.  Whether it's Womack & Womack or Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn, hearing a man and a woman address difficult themes in song thrills me. 

That's why I had high hopes for Love, Marriage & Divorce, a new collaboration between Toni Braxton and Babyface.  I was initially disappointed that the album sounds exactly like a Toni Braxton and Babyface project. 

Obviously, I shouldn't have been surprised.  Babyface gave a genre a name with the title of his 2004 album Grown & Sexy.  Braxton is the quiet storm version of Céline Dion.  It's tempting to suggest that the soundtrack to Disney's Frozen may be funkier than Love, Marriage & Divorce

Mocking the album's smooth aesthetic is easy, but the truth is that I've had the album on repeat all week.  It speaks directly to me.  What tracks like "Hurt You" lack in sonic grit is made up for in the raw emotion conveyed by the blunt lyrics and exceptional vocals.

I intend to remain faithful to Love, Marriage & Divorce for the remainder of my life.


---
Here's the promotional video for the 2014 edition of the Middle of the Map festival.

---
Conflict's cover of Tech N9ne's "It's Alive" is solid.

---
Making Movies covered "Aguanile".

---
My favorite entry in the latest episode of the KC Cypher Series is Info Gates.

---
The 2014 edition of the Gathering of the Juggalos will take place in the Ozarks.

---
I somehow missed the news of the passing of jazz trumpeter Roy Campbell, Jr. until this week.  Here's how I'll remember him.

---
Danilio Pérez has an impressive track record of making entertaining albums.  Panama 500 is no exception.  The related EPK, however, is terrible.  RIYL: Chick Corea, the unexpected, Ruben Bladés.

---
"Move That Dope" is undeniable.  RIYL: Pusha T, crime, Pharrell. 

---
James Brandon Lewis' Divine Travels showcases the saxophonist in a free jazz trio setting.  RIYL: David Ware, conversing with God, Cecil Taylor.

---
I'll probably never listen to it again, but the strong moments outnumber the embarrassing moments on David Crosby's new album Croz.

---
Indian's From All Purity is truly devastating.  It took me three sessions to get all the way through the metal album.  RIYL: pain, suffering, hopelessness. 

---
I'm looking forward to "Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton", a documentary about Stones Throw Records.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: