Monday, January 13, 2014

Album Review: Stephen Malkmus- Wig Out at Jagbags


I happened to listen to Trey Anastasio's 2012 album Traveler the same day I played Stephen Malkmus' new album Wig Out at Jagbags for the first time.  The only real difference between the two recordings is the Phish man's sincerity and the Pavement man's irony.  Both guys are obviously in thrall of the Grateful Dead.  ("Lariat" is my jam.)  I need a miracle- how about a co-headlining tour of the two oddly compatible men during the second half of 2014?

---
I reviewed Allen Toussaint's concert at the Folly Theater on Saturday.

---
I had an out-of-body experience on Sunday as a trio of women from the Midwest Chamber Ensemble played Claude Debussy's "Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp" at a Lutheran church.  I also enjoyed hearing "Pendulum Quartet" by the young composer Joseph Kern.

---
My review of a Steel Panther concert was referenced by the Huffington Post.

---
Amiri Baraka has died.

---
I didn't see the trippy video for Reggie B's "Hypnotized" until last weekend. 

---
A&R veteran Peter Lubin's new essay about the Everly Brothers is loaded with invaluable insights.

---
John Newman's new album Tribute  is solid British blue-eyed soul.  RIYL: Adele, pure pop for yesterday's people, Dusty Springfield.

---
I like Leo Welch's Sabougla Voices even though it's reminiscent of those awkward albums that paired the likes of Howlin' Wolf with his young English devotees.  RIYL: boogie, unblinking musings about impending death, Mississippi.

---
Wayne Kramer's picks are superior to Billy Bragg's choices in an entertaining "What's In My Bag" segment.

---
Kid Ink's My Own Lane is one of the most cynical boardroom-constructed albums I've heard in some time.  The gambit- creating a watered-down version of the catchiest work of 2 Chainz/Tiga/Big Sean- works.  RIYL: Katy Perry, high school, Bruno Mars.

---
The Tord Gustavsen Quartet has five American gigs booked in February.  I'm eyeing the Chicago and Portland dates as I listen to samples from the forthcoming Extended Circle album.

---
Have I no shame!  I genuinely enjoy Martynas' self-titled crossover-classical/Euro-pop accordion album.  RIYL: cheese, hokum, watching TV at nursing homes.

---
Even though Juana Molina's Son topped my album list in 2006, I simply wasn't prepared to listen to her new release Wed 21 until recently.  RIYL: Gal Costa, dreaming, Tom Zé.

---
Matt Pryor's Wrist Slitter is shockingly good.  RIYL: Elvis Costello's first five albums, contemplating suicide, the Get Up Kids.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: