Monday, August 27, 2012

Review: Fela Tribute at the RecordBar



















When I learned that Hearts of Darkness was participating in a tribute to Fela Kuti, my initial reaction wasn't entirely positive.  I wondered how the event would differ from every other Hearts of Darkness show.

But that's not fair.  Kansas City's Hearts of Darkness has always offered a unique twist on Fela's Afrobeat.  And Shelf Life, the band's new album, documents the collective's ongoing evolution.  Besides, the Fela tribute combined the forces of Hearts of Darkness and the People's Liberation Big Band.   I wasn't about to miss the opportunity to see members of two of my favorite bands collaborate on the music of one of my heroes, so I dragged my sorry carcass to the RecordBar on Sunday.

After paying the $7 cover with a fiver and eight quarters (I'm busted), I was instantly energized by the vibrant music.  Here are a few observations:

*While I missed the beginning and the end of the performance, the number of musicians on stage numbered between 14 and 19 depending on the selection.
*Alas, the audience- including the musicians waiting for their turn to play- numbered about 60.  I understand that HoD's performance the previous night at Knuckleheads drew several hundred people.  Perhaps fans were simply worn out.
*Most of the audience sat during propulsive renditions of the most inviting dance music of the twentieth century.  I don't get it.
*The break between sets was less than fifteen minutes.  Kudos to enthusiastic bandleader Bob Asher!
*Seeing Micah Herman and Jeff Harshbarger standing next to one another on stage gave me an inordinate amount of joy.
*Other notable participants included Brad Cox, Stan Kessler, Mark Lowrey, Rich Wheeler, Brad Williams and Arny Young.


---
I wrote a fall jazz preview for The Kansas City Star.

---
I wasn't able to catch much music while I visited Oregon last week.  Here are my notes on one excursion.

---
"Leather On" is a track from Mike Dillon's forthcoming album Urn.

---
"This is a cement, concrete-reinforced vault!" Chad Kassem of Acoustic Sounds just kills me.

---
Carry On is a new tribute album to the late Teisha Helgerson.

---
New P.O.S.!  I hope We Don't Even Live Here is as good as Never Better, my #2 album of 2009.

---
Freaks partial to both Tool's videos and the music of Erik Satie will want to know about Hauschka's "Radar".

---
The video for Gizmo's "Red Balloon" is remarkable.  RIYL: Robert Glasper, Sonic Youth.

---
Ty Segal's new song "The Hill" is stupendous.  RIYL: Nuggets, drugs, 1968.

---
I panned an El Ten Eleven performance several months ago.  Is  "Thanks Bill" the band's retort?

---
She's a Keeper uploaded two new songs.  RIYL: Jason Mraz, Mumford & Sons.

---
Enrico Rava plays Michael Jackson on the new album On the Dance Floor.

I'm all about Gummy Soul's Bizarre Tribe: A Quest to The Pharcyde.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here and here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

Gary said...

The Fela show was great. I was one of the sitters but I ran 24 miles the day before in the rain and needed to give my blisters a rest. I thought the size of the audience looked smaller and the last Sunday night show I attended the tables were not out.