Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Hobby Rockets, Treehouses and Red Abalone


The embedded video documents a visit the members of the new Kansas City-based fado band Fado Novato paid to a luthier.  It offers a peek into a world about which I know very little. Observations:

*The Raytown-based luthier Dave Bucher is a fascinating guy.  Anyone who enjoys KCPT's Rare Visions & Roadside Revelations will appreciate Bucher's folk art and scholarly musings.

*The video serves as confirmation that Shay Estes is indeed responsible for the rainout of last year's Prairie Village Jazz Festival.  (Kidding, Shay- I'm just kidding.)

*This is an ideal example of how musicians can (and should) incorporate social media into their day-to-day interactions.

*That said, I can't wait to hear Fado Novato perform.


---
I wrote a poorly received review of last night's Tenacious D show.

---
Can you believe that I'd never been to a James Taylor concert until last week?  Here's my review.

---
Tech N9ne's "Caribou Lou" has achieved gold status.  (Tip via RH.)

----
I'm excited about Christian Scott's new album in spite of his hubris-filled EPK.  Here's corresponding live footage.

---
How do you compel me to purchase a physical version of an album?  The latest reissue of Liquid Swords contains "a full wooden minature (sic) chess set, which can be played on the chess board printed and contained directly on the inner lining of the box."

---
I reviewed Pat Metheny's new Unity Band album at Plastic Sax.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

No comments: