Friday, January 06, 2012

Review: Jad Fair's Bird House


















Jad Fair's latest project instantly transported me back to the early '80s. In those days I felt compelled to salvage Half Japanese and Jad Fair solo albums from record store cutout bins. I didn't particularly enjoy the absurd outsider sounds but I loved the fact that "music" of this nature could actually be recorded, released, distributed and sold. A video for the title track for the forthcoming EP Bird House is an uncanny representation of my disjointed memories of that era. I continue to embrace the anarchy.

---
Album of the Year?

---
The unseasonably warm weather somehow makes the idea of driving to Arkansas to hear acts like Bob Weir and Railroad Earth at Wakarusa seem attractive.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

6 comments:

JonathanN said...

Exactly the piece of information I was looking for! Thanks so much for posting!

Gary said...

One of my favorite shows was around 2000 with Half Japanese in a little living room setting at a long gone record store in Oklahoma City. Jad just sat on a couch with a crappy old Converse All Star on his head before the opening band Audio Rodeo rearranged my brain. God bless Jad Fair.

Happy In Bag said...

That anecdote is perfect, Gary.

I miss those OK record stores- Starship, um... Geez- I can't even remember their names, but I recall that the owners were invariably really cool guys. Sad.

As the spammer wrote, "thanks so much for posting!"

Gary said...

I used to make the two hour pilgrimage to Starship often. I was one of the oddballs that went to buy t-shirts or records (lotsa import vinyl) and not the head shop goodies. Most people (non-music nerd types) associate it with the "paraphenalia" sold in that "other building."

Happy In Bag said...

Yeah, when I occasionally visit a certain Kansas City "record store" I get the impression that I'm the only customer who actually flips through the paltry selection of pre-recorded music instead of making a beeline for the "smoking accessories."

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I even could not imagine how hard it is to find decent piece of info on the above topic. It took me a couple of hours before I came across your site. <a href=