Thursday, November 17, 2011

Jackie Leven, 1950-2011




















I used the sad news of the passing of Jackie Leven as an excuse to go crate digging in my own basement. I knew I had at least one album by Leven's band Doll by Doll in my dank subterranean storage space. The sticker on the album's Jem Imports sleeve indicates that I picked up Doll By Doll's Gypsy Blood at Kief's in Lawrence for 99 cents. I'm too lazy to load it up on my USB turntable and none of the streaming services I use has the album. At least Rdio offers a lengthy positive review. I remember it as a sincere collection of overwrought pub rock, sort of like a roots-oriented version of Phil Lynott. In fact, it's exactly like this.

---
It's a good thing I'm not creeped out by dead spiders. I did become mortified in my basement as I was reminded of my misguided habits as a formerly obsessive record collector. Why did I feel compelled to own every album by wildly inconsistent artists like Graham Parker and Smokey Robinson? And the hundreds of flyers I took in cutout bins yielded as many misses (Sea Level anyone?) as hits (Garland Jeffreys).

---
I still don't get Google Music.

---
Laura Kennedy of the Bush Tetras has died. (Tip via BGO.)

---
I know this is sacrilege, but Aimless Love is my favorite John Prine album.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

Gary said...

Jud Apatow is putting Graham Parker in his next movie. Even if he was inconsistent I still think more people should know his music.