Friday, September 16, 2011

Review: Cesmiles- Did This For Hip Hop























Cesmiles' "Sorry" stream at YouTube (featuring Ces Cru)

Cesmiles' "School" stream at YouTube (instrumental)

Miles Bonny is an over-sharer. I love the guy and the music he makes, but I just can't deal with the constant barrage of information he transmits. I had to unfollow Bonny online just so his updates didn't consume a significant portion of my days.

Now I'm playing catchup. I accidentally came across Did This For Hip Hop, his new collaboration with Ces Cru, at Bandcamp. The mixtape is so good that it temporarily relieved me of my obsession with Shabazz Palaces. Bonny's instrumental tracks reflect his interest in all types of music- folk, jazz and international sounds are added to the usual funk samples. I prefer Bonny's productions to the work of most of his more celebrated peers.

A couple of the selections on Did This For Hip Hop are little more than sketches, but hey, he's giving it away (and asking for "tips.") It almost goes without saying that the tracks featuring Ces Cru are fire.

---
Blues man Willie "Big Eyes" Smith has died. (Tip via BGO.)

---
The excellent video for Destroyer's "Savage Night at the Opera" reminds me of why Vancouver is my favorite city in North America. Kaput is highly recommended to anyone harboring an inexcusable nostalgia for the era in which Gary Wright was a radio star. (Guilty!)

---
Why didn't anyone tell me about Death Grips? The free Exmilitary mixtape is among my favorite release of 2011.

---
Rondo Leewright, of St. Louis' Rondo's Blues Deluxe, has died. His band was once a big club draw in Kansas City.

---
I reviewed Time Travel, the new album by Never Shout Never, for Ink.

---
Am I an idiot, or is Google's Music Beta deliberately confusing? Wait- don't answer that.

---
Kansas City Click: Anthony Wilson is performing Friday at the Westport Coffee House Theater at Plastic Sax. I previewed the show at Plastic Sax.

Wrath & Ruin is at the Riot Room on Saturday.

I'll be with the hoi polloi at the Kauffman Center's open house on Sunday.

The Lonely Planet appear at Crosstown Station on Monday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

3 comments:

UK Data Centre said...

Colo-X.com is a consultancy specializing in advising customers on the data centre market in UK - They have over 10 years hands-on industry experience with a proven track record in closing deals. 90% of their activity is focused on the colocation and hosting sectors in the UK and Europe. Contact Colo-X.com to see how they can help you with your hosting needs.

Tesol Training said...

The Intesoltesoltraining Academy offers TEFL course is a fully interactive course.The online TEFL and TESOL courses are designed for students who are looking to Teach English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) internationally in a professional environment.The ability to earn a TEFL/TESOL certification on a part time schedule appeals to those students who wish to continue working while completing their training. Aside from being able to continue with work, the Online TEFL TESOL course is very economical, allowing the student to afford the highest quality of TEFL/TESOL training at the professional certification level.

Kissing Game said...

My Candy Love is an exciting kind of Kissing Game for teenagers. you will build relationships with more than 5 different characters during one month period of time in this Love Game.