Friday, July 30, 2010

Review: The Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey- Stay Gold


















JFJO EPK for Stay Gold

John Zorn's tribute to Ennio Morricone, The Big Gundown, had a profound effect on my impressionable ears twenty years ago. The album altered my perception of jazz and noise. I still listen to it periodically and I'm always left wishing that Zorn had paid more reverent tribute to Morricone's work on Spaghetti Westerns like A Fistful of Dollars, Once Upon a Time In the West, and everyone's favorite, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey fills that void with its new Stay Gold album. Morricone's music was probably the last thing on the minds of the band's members as they created the project, but the cinematic scope of the instrumental album, flavored with haunting lap steel, is as vast as the Oklahoma prairie. I love it.

---
Last night's Snoop Dogg concert was the best I've experienced. And Ice Cube stepped on my fingers! Here's my review.

---
My review of the new James Christos EP is here.

---
Josh Broadhead of Kansas City's Saved By Grace has died.

---
Al Goodman of Ray, Goodman & Brown has died.

---
Ben Keith has died.

---
Nelly won't be playing in Branson after all. (Tip via Tony's Kansas City.)

---
Kansas City Click: Liverpool plays Frontier Park in Olathe on Friday.

Steddy P returns to the Czar Bar on Saturday.

As I noted at Plastic Sax, Mark Lowrey will record an album Sunday at Jardine's.

My top five picks for Warped Tour on Monday are Andrew W.K., Pennywise, The Reverend Peyton's Damn Big Band, Whitechapel and Dillinger Escape Plan.

No comments: