Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Midwasteland at SXSW






















Am I the only person not attending SXSW this year? It sure feels that way. My town is sending dozens of acts to Austin. Over thirty of them are participating in Midwasteland Takeover, an unofficial three-day showcase at the Canvas Bar & Gallery at 5th & Brazos. Here's the schedule. The Midwest Music Foundation, one of the showcase's organizers, helped put together a free compilation featuring 18 participating acts. (Grab the cover art here.) Several of them- James Christos, Hammerlord, Olympic Size and Steddy P.- have already been featured at There Stands the Glass. I also personally endorse songs by Cowboy Indian Bear and The Grisly Hand.

---
My favorite regional artist performing at SXSW is XV. Here's the lowdown on the Kansan's official showcase.

---
Look, I like Biggie's music. And sure, I miss him. It distresses me, however, that the 13th anniversary of the rapper's death is a trending topic while the 80th birthday of Ornette Coleman is recognized only by weirdo jazz obsessives. Coleman, one of the greatest musical minds of the 20th century, remains a vital force. I hate to be a crank, but gee whiz, how about just an iota of cultural perspective?

---
The creepy new video for Soulcrate Music's "Electric Heavy Glow" is excellent.

---
Kansas City Click: Kansan Sarah Buxton opens for Jake Owen Tuesday at the Midland Theater.

Cover band Wonderland plays for basketball fans Wednesday at Raglan Road.

No comments: