Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The V-Roys- Wind Down















Wound down.

Steve Earle was a bummer Saturday night. Don't misunderstand- artistically, his performance was excellent. But the combination of the solo-acoustic format and Earle's focus on Townes Van Zandt's sad songs didn't exactly make for a good time. Here's my review. I saw Earle tour behind Guitar Town and Copperhead Road, and I longed for a similarly rocking band. Earle certainly knows how it's done. He produced, for instance, the The V-Roys's excellent 1996 debut Just Add Ice. It represents precisely the sort of Southern blues-rock that I was hankering for Saturday.

---
John E. Carter of the Flamingos and the Dells died August 21. I pulled out "Stay In My Corner" for the first time in years when I heard the bad news. It sounds better than ever.

---
Joe Schwab of Euclid Records displays a few amazing folk art album covers.

---
Here's my review of last night's Lil Wayne concert.

---
Kansas City Click: Deke Dickerson returns to Knuckleheads on Tuesday.

No comments: