Friday, May 15, 2009

Frank Wess- The Very Thought of You















Forgotten.

I try to keep my head down here at the There Stands the Glass compound. It's painfully obvious that I don't worry about what other music bloggers are doing. I'm here only because this obsession is so infuriatingly itchy. It's in me and it's got to get out. I also happen to have an obscenely large collection of dead format media.

The only thing that that ever sticks in my craw is when readers- even readers claiming to enjoy There Stands the Glass- call this an obituary site. I just hate that.

Who else is going to write about Stephen Bruton? And I don't see Brooklyn Vegan or Gorilla vs. Bear tripping over one another in a race to be first to pay tribute to Vern Gosdin. That's fine; those sites are great. But if I don't write about the passing of Bud Shank, well, there's a good chance that it will go unmentioned in the music blogger community. And that's simply not acceptable.

So when I spotted Frank Wess' name in an RSS feed yesterday, I feared the worst. Thankfully, it was just a review of an appearance at Lincoln Center by the 87-year-old jazz veteran.

He's heard here playing flute on a twenty-year-old live session. The band is just breathtaking. It includes Harry Edison, Ronnell Bright, Snooky Young and Marshall Royal.

Keep going, Mr. Wess. I don't want to write about you again for a long, long time.

---
I downloaded Coldplay's new live album today. And I enjoyed it. Wanna make something of it?

---
Kansas City Click: Pal of There Stands the Glass Howard Iceberg leads a troupe of songwriters at Coffee Break on Troost tonight.

Esperanza Spalding visits The Folly Theater Saturday.

Arthur Dodge provides the music Sunday at Westport Flea Market.

2 comments:

jonder said...

Don't worry about criticism. Keep on keeping on.

Happy In Bag said...

You can count on that, Jon. Thanks.