Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mike Farris- Streets of Galilee















Road closed.

The era of media saturation doesn't afford many opportunities for surprise. So I was thoroughly delighted by the shock I received when I discovered the identity of Mike Farris. I had repeatedly listened to an advance copy of Shout! Live without bothering to look at the promotional one-sheet. It's refreshing, I thought, that a major label is releasing a live album by an unknown fifty-year-old soul and gospel singer. I reckoned Farris resembled Otis Clay. Only when I began to assemble this post did I discover that Farris is the dude from Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies. "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!"

---
A trustworthy friend urged area music writers to attend a women's singer-songwriter event last night. He hoped to build awareness for a woman named Cheri Woods. I'm glad I showed up. Woods' unaccompanied spoken word/song recital was equal parts Jack Kerouac and Iris DeMent. She exudes a guileless air of folksy authenticity. The woman doesn't even have a MySpace, but I managed to dig up this video.

---
I reviewed Friday's Derek Trucks concert.

---
I stayed in the next night. Naturally, I tuned in to Sabado Gigante. Yanni, of all people, was featured on my favorite variety show. "There are no rules," he asserts in this promotional video. He's a musical rebel!

---
Kansas City Click: Organist Everette DeVan appears tonight at The Phoenix.

No comments: